Acne is an epidemic skin disease in developed countries reaching an astonishing rate of 60% teenagers and 20% of adults in their 20ties and 30ties. USA has the highest number of people with this skin issue while Japan, also rich country, has one of the smallest rate of people with acne. This clearly shows that acne is linked to the diet habits we develop. Historically dietary advice was a standard part of acne treatment. Recently, in the last few decades we have a plenty of evidence supporting the correlation between diet and acne. In specific, in regards to high glycaemic foods, diary, and anti oxidants.
To elaborate, high glycaemic index food such as white bread, white rice, white pasta are considered to exacerbate acne. Diary has also been correlated with skin problems. Skim milk increases the inflammatory response and the acne gets worse. It also contain a huge amount of hormones that cause imbalance in our human body hormone production. If you find it difficult to restrain yourself from diary, instead of cow’s milk use coconut milk or almond milk that are equally sweet yet much healthier. Avoid caffeine, black tea and any soda drinks if possible. Spice food can also increase the inflammation. All junk foods should be completely eliminated from the diet. Food rich in sugar overstimulate the oil glands which results in clogged pores and painful pimples.
What is the right food when struggling with skin problems?
Food that has a low glycaemic index protects us from skin problems. Numerous studies have shown that antioxidant play a protective role in our body. Skin heals quicker and the inflammation is minimalized. Using antioxidant through oral supplementation in a form of pills or through diet can protect us against the inflammation that is linked with acne.
Patients with acne have higher level of inflammation markers and the low level of the antioxidant enzymes and vitamins such as vitamin C, A and E. It has been proved that raw food that has not been heated up over 40 Celsius has low glycaemic index thus they are recommended as the perfect food that will clear up the skin. Water rich fruits contain huge amount of easily absorbed vitamins and microelements that are essential when it comes to treating acne. It is also essential to drink at least three litters of pure water for the detoxification purposes.
Top 7 Anti Inflammatory Foods for Acne
- Green Tea – tasty and it is packed with antioxidants
- Leafy Green Vegetables – kale, spinach, parsley, coriander speed up the detox process and nourish your body
- Fat Fish – are rich in easy absorbed, healthy omega-3 fatty acid that is good for our brain. Most importantly- it makes your skin glow
- Berries– blueberries, blackberries- they taste great and are rich in antioxidants
- Turmeric– this Indian spice is great for your liver and it can heal the skin very quickly
- Garlic is considered one of the main most powerful superfood on planet Earth. It helps fight inflammation and it kills harmful bacterial including the Candida bacteria which overgrowth in your body causes acne.
- Broccoli– rich in sulphur that apart from fighting vampires also fights your acne.
Leave a Reply